The purpose of the Technical Support Services Unit at iThemba LABS is to provide a sustainable, reliable and affordable engineering and infrastructure support service for our multi-disciplinary groups and our user base.
The following are the technical support services that we offer to our operational facilities:
- Electrical support service: Maintenance and upgrading of all electrical installations, including UPS systems, MV and LV switchgear and cabling.
- Mechanical support service: Maintenance and upgrading of chiller plants, HVAC systems, general buildings and grounds maintenance and upkeep.
- RF systems development and maintenance.
- Vacuum systems maintenance.
- Beam diagnostics systems and ion source maintenance and upgrades.
- Control electronics and power supply maintenance and development
- Control software maintenance and upgrades
- Mechanical workshop services (CNC machining, specialised welding, etc.)
All of the above are accomplished by our dedicated in-house teams of engineers and technicians (electrical, electronic, mechanical and software, fitters & turners).