“Today`s students and tomorrow`s Scientists and Innovators.”
Our science education programme aims to contribute to strengthening and supporting science understanding, teaching and learning by engaging educators and learners in our schools through bringing the world of modern physics into classrooms. Our various support programmes endeavour to connect accelerator-based science research activities at iThemba LABS to many important and relevant areas of the school science system.
1. Teacher Professional Development
Educator specific lectures, aims to promote knowledge sharing between iThemba LABS and science educators in topical areas that are found at the intersection of research areas and curriculum content. Included in this iThemba LABS conducts supplementary science knowledge enhancing sessions which seeks to develop educators’ practical skills.
- Hands-on science experiment workshops for educators are hosted and facilitated in conjunction with partners in higher education institutions and education districts.
- Opportunities for educators to be involved in accelerator-based science research experiences.
2. Support Resources
iThemba LABS education support resources provide access to workshop activity sheets, Science experiment manuals, online and in-person science shows as well as, online interactive science learning support platform.
3. Corporate Social Investment
Initiatives focussed on bolstering school science learning and teaching infrastructure. These include adoption of 1-2 school schools per year and providing support such as refurbishing an existing science laboratory space and donating some science experiments chemicals and equipment.
4. Focus Weeks
iThemba LABS invites engagement through focus week initiatives, to serve as a vehicle to provision resources for both learners and educators. Focus weeks that are implemented by iThemba LABS are:
- National Science Week (NSW) in collaboration with Department of Science and Innovation (DSI) and their implementation partners South Africa Agency for Science and Technology Advancement (SAASTA).
- iThemba LABS Learner Education week (TLABS EDU WEEK) provides a platform for High school learners to engage with professionals and scientist at iThemba LABS. Through participation in a three-day Job shadow programme.
Our Primary School Science Support programme is aimed at encouraging learners to develop a love and passion for mathematics and science from an early age through participation in activities such as science competitions and science club activities.
Inspiring a Nation
Science Engagement is considered to be three separate activities, namely:
science awareness, science communication and science education.
Find out more about the Science Engagement Team activities during the past month.
Supporting young people through motivational storytelling
Bridging the GAP through technology
Enhancing the teaching and learning of Physical Science
The science communication component of the Science engagement division aims to facilitate information sharing with education stakeholders and the public, through our various communication portals including public lectures, social media, printable resources and articles for popular science magazines.