EIT – Overview
Training in the Electronics & Information Technology (EIT) Group
Like other functions/groups within iThemba LABS, the Electronics and Information Technology Group plays its part in Training and Development in the electronics and Information Technology (IT) related skills.
The training takes place at the following levels:
This is a program for prospective higher national diploma graduates. They are offered a one year contract to get experiential training in electronics and IT related fields. The contract starts on 1st February and ends on 31st January the following year. Eligible students are those enrolled for electronic/electrical engineering and/or IT related studies and who need an industrial attachment or experiential training in order to complete their studies.
Typical activities that students are involved in include:
- Power supplies.
- Computer assembly and repairs.
- Circuit design, manufacturing and fault finding.
Intake process is as follows:
- Close of application: last working day of September every year.
- Interviews for selected candidates: middle October to middle November.
- Appointment of successful trainees: last week of November.
- You must be a student studying towards a HND qualification.
- You must require industrial attachment or experiential training in order to complete your diploma.
- A letter of application.
- Full academic record/transcript.
- Copies of certificates where applicable.
Send your completed application form (by email or fax) to the coordinator at the address below.
This is a program suitable for final year/honours students at universities. They are engaged for a 12-month period to work on a project. Students normally work on a subproject of a bigger project currently underway at iThemba LABS.
Intake process begins in September for January the following year. Training period runs from January to December.
Opportunities exist in collaboration with other groups at iThemba LABS and universities in the region to offer prospective students in-depth projects which can be used as a basis for a master’s degree. The students will normally be registered with one of the local universities, viz. Universities of Cape Town, Stellenbosch and Western Cape.
Intake process is flexible and it depends on supervisor availability, university regulations, etc.
For more information on any of the above training programmes, contact:
The EIT Training Coordinator
Tel (O/H) +27(0)218431000 Fax: +27(0)218433525